MMA gloves - how to choose the right ones for you?
MMA gloves often called grappling or grappling gloves are gloves with an open palm and exposed fingers. Such gloves are designed to protect the hand during impact and at the same time maintain grip.
Due to the thinner shock-absorbing layer, such gloves are harder and more absorbent. To a lesser extent than boxing or kumite gloves blows.
However, the undeniable advantage of this type of gloves is. Their lightness, good ventilation and, as already mentioned, preservation of grip abilities during combat.
MMA gloves with or without thumb protection for training, sparring or fighting.
Opinions on whether grip gloves should have thumb protection or not are divided. Proponents of gloves designed with a thumb guard claim that it protects the thumb from abrasions and increases safety during sparring, but opponents claim that the thumb guard reduces gripping abilities during fights on the ground. So which version should you choose?
It mainly depends on what they will be used for. When buying gripping gloves where the ability to grip plays a very important role, it is recommended to use the gloves without thumb protection. However, if you intend to use them in a stand-up fight (boxing, Krav Maga, etc.) or for training on a punching bag, you should choose the version with a thumb protector.
MMA gloves available in the market are available in versions made of natural and synthetic leather. Of course good, the more durable version are those made of natural leather, although among those made of synthetic leather you can find very successful models at relatively low prices.
How to choose the size of MMA gloves?
The most common sizes used by grappling glove manufacturers are size S, M, L, XL, but it is worth remembering that these are not universal sizes and their actual dimensions can vary significantly depending on the make and model of the gloves.
Before buying gloves, read the size chart of a particular model carefully. Remember that the width of the hand is measured at the height of the fingers, excluding the thumb - as shown in the picture.
- Advice: when buying MMA gloves for training on a punching bag, the best solution is those with an elongated velcro that allows you to wrap the wrist twice, which provides better rigidity. Remember that it is the wrist that is most prone to injury, so it is worth taking care of the right protection.
Sign up for our newsletter, stay up to date on martial arts equipment and get a 10% discount on your first order!
Do you need punching bags, gloves or other equipment for MMA training? With us you will find a wide selection of quality products. Our training gloves are made in various sizes to fit your hands perfectly. Whether you practice grappling, we have what you need. With our good selection, you can get the right support and protection to perform your sport in the best possible way. So come by and see our sparring gloves that will take your training to a new level!
- Training gloves for MMA and boxing training MMA-TECH Bushido size MNOK 349
- Leather gloves MMA-ADVANCE TECH E1V4 Bushido size LNOK 499
- Training gloves MMA - training on punching bag Bushido e1v8 - LNOK 399
- Training gloves MMA - training on a punching bag Bushido ARM-2023 - MNOK 399
- Training gloves MMA - training on punching bag Bushido e1v8 - MNOK 399
- Sparring gloves for MMA, Krav Maga black gold - leather - XLNOK 449
- Sparring gloves for MMA, Krav Maga ARM-2011A – L/XLNOK 399
- Sparring gloves for MMA, Krav Maga "Undefeated" - L/XLNOK 399
- Training gloves for MMA and boxing training MMA-TECH Bushido size LNOK 349